CAS

CAS

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

City of Greyhawk Contour Map



Please forgive the grade-school style of my work, but I've never been a dab hand at drawing or cartography.

This map is based on the map found in Gygax's City of Hawk's novel.

The Purple is the highest elebation with each elevation depicting around a 50 foot tise, then red, green, and uncolored. The Blue represents the Selintan River. The red lines represents the city walls.

I placed the Citadel at the highest elevation. High, Garden and River quarters I envisioned as hills that had been shaped and plateaued. The University and Clerkberg areas as well. The Old City I saw as a two step plateau with a higher elevation in the center with one end containg the old city barracks, now the prison workhouse.

For the most part I have seen the City of Greyhawk depicted as flat, but in City of Hawks it mentions that, "The rambling walls follow the entire complex of ridges and hills that rolled from the northern tip of Old City to where the Grey Run and the Selintan flowed together."

The colored splotches shown on this map are a very rough estimate. Within each area I see winding streets, some clif-like areas while others rise slowly to higher areas. Some areas may have a more ridged or sculpted appearances, while many of the streets and buildings may tilt at angles in a ramshackle and shoddy construction.

4 comments:

  1. Nice blog!

    I hadn't thought about the natural elevations where a city or town is settled on. I've seen other Greyhawk maps around the internet, but I like how you're approaching it literally from the ground up.

    I've recently been inspired by S'mon and his blog, www.smonsyggsburghblog.blogspot.com, to flesh out the Town of Yggsburgh for myself. There is a description of Yggsburgh being on a raised hill, sorting of displaying the entire city from a certain area. I'll have to read the Yggsburgh book again to find the exact reference.

    Depending on how far I get, maybe I'll plan to do the "Free City of Dunfalcon".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!I will have to check out S'mon's blog.

    Set between two rivers Greyhawk can certainly use all the high ground it can get. I'd never thought about the contours of the city till I started digging into Gygax's novels. The view in my mind'seye of the city has changed dramaticaly in the last few years. It will be rough looking done in graph paper with far too many straight lines than I picture the city having, but piece by piece I am working on putting it together.

    Yggsburgh is a very handy refernce work for constructing Gygaxian cities. I plan on mining it for a good deal of information.

    Is Dunfalcon mentioned in the Yggsburgh setting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is mentioned.

      Yggsburgh, p.108: Villages of Duunfalcon Pike

      "The Dunfalcon Pike is a reasonably well-maintained and patrolled highway leading west some 300 road miles to the city it is named for... (etc, etc, etc) ...into the territory of the Free City of Dunfalcon."

      It then lists some 22 thorps, 5 villages, and the lands of 4 independent nobles that are directly enroute between Yggsburgh and Dunfalcon.

      Delete
    2. I need to read through Yggsburgh cover to cover. I've gone through it, but not in depth.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.